Project Implicit Tests

As part of my Human Diversity class, I was able to participate in several of the tests for Project Implicit, which tests for hidden biases through as series of online activities. The results of these tests found the following:
I had a slight positive bias toward people in same sex couples.
I had a slight positive bias toward people with disabilities.
There was no detectable bias toward people of Middle Eastern ethnicity and nor those who were not of Middle Eastern ethnicity.
There was no detectable bias toward people as a result of skin color.
There was slight detectable bias against in favor of traditional gender roles.

To be honest, I was appalled that I felt positively biased in favor of traditional gender roles. I would like to think that I have progressive views regarding gender roles. I did, however, grow up in a home with traditional gender roles. Throughout my children's childhoods, I participated in traditional gender roles- staying home and caring for them and the home while my husband worked. However, I did not feel as though others should follow my path if they did not feel compelled. 

In my work with Bayada Habilitation as an intern and as an Instructional Consultant, it's important for me to be cognizant of this bias and ensure that I am not treating others differently as a result of it. I currently have a client as an IC who has a stay at home dad, whom I frequently work with. I have worked with the mom once. I have explored my feelings about this and admit that I have had bias as to why she is not more participatory in the interventions. I had to chastise myself because its not as if I feel that way toward the fathers of the clients who have mothers that stay at home with them. This is definitely an area I need to be aware of.

This journal article corresponds with Competency 2.3: Apply self-awareness and self-regulation to manage the influence of personal biases and values in working with diverse clients and constituencies, on learning contract.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Research to Improve Practice & Service Delivery

Ethics and Reflection in Habilitation