Conflicts in Values

Recently I was tasked with entering information about our clients into a database, Therap. One of the questions raised was regarding Advanced Directives, and whether the client had one. Most of our clients do not have Advanced Directives. However, there was one situation in which the client did have a Do Not Resuscitate order. Although I don't have a particular value regarding DNRs, I have to admit this made me feel a bit conflicted. The person is a young man who is not his own guardian. So, he would have to have the legal paperwork signed by the person legally responsible for making such choices and signing for them. I do not cast judgment on the guardian for doing so. I do not know the complete history of the situation, nor have I ever been in a situation in which I have had to make such decisions for my own child. The client is a young man who suffers from health issues in which this choice would more than likely be necessary in the coming year. However, my dilemma is whether or not the client is capable of understanding the ramifications of such a choice.

This journal entry corresponds to competency 1.2: Use reflection and self-regulation to manage personal values and maintain professionalism in practice situations, on learning contract.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ethics and Reflection in Habilitation

Using Research to Improve Practice & Service Delivery

Project Implicit Tests